Eggleston Building Has Long History of Ownership
Alex Robertson’s Bank – Built in 1884
In 1886, the first building to be placed on this corner was Alex Robertsons’s Bank, an ornate building built by Sylvester Edwards in 1884. (Arnold was established in 1883.) His bank pictured above, facing west, started out as Blum’s Clothing store, but in 1886 when it was moved to this site, from the corner where Forrester’s Garage/Sandhills Motors was Alex Robertson transformed it into a bank. As the new owner, Robertson became the first banker in Arnold. Various businesses occupied the site after Robertson moved out. It was A.G. and M.E. Hoffman’s General Store before they sold to F.W. Spegal in 1910. A Café was run by Mrs. Harry Reed on the lower floor while she rented out rooms on the upper floor. Spegal’s building had also housed Mrs. Bedford’s Novelty Shop, Charles Beardsley’s Optometrist Office and Jewelry business, and Mrs. Beardsley’s Lunch Room. Beardsleys shared the lower floor with Harold Bedford for his Sentinel Office. The building was torn down in 1917 due to fire damage. In 1918, Ed Cleveland was the next to build on this site located along the “White Way” highway. His stay was short-lived, selling his Real Estate office to Charlie Clark who reopened it as “White Way” café in 1924. ~The café was painted entirely white inside and outside.~ In a series of business changes, Frank Alexander left his manager position at the Farmers Union Store, bought the Sylvester Edwards corner, sold the grocery (north of Finch drug), moved Charlie’s café off the Edward’s corner, and then built a modern Gas Station, in 1925. Alexander’s Gas Station remained on the corner for 40 years, the longest any building had stood on this site up to that time. ~Meanwhile, Charlie Clark managed to sell 40 meals while his café was on skids waiting to be moved to its new home.~ In the next 10 years, Alexander sold to Harry Will, who then sold to W.A. (Lonnie) Brewer and Emery Messersmith in 1935. In 1939, Brewer and Lonnie Swisher took it over from Persis and Vernon Tubbs. ~ Harry Weber was the last owner of the gas station on this site. While he was owner, Weber tore down the canopy. He remained at Weber’s Gas Station for 30 years, before moving to the Swisher Gas Station (Grazer’s Corner). Bill and Marge Hagler tore down the Weber station in 1965, in order to build their modern café. A contest to “name the café” was held, with Kenneth Nansel’s entry “Model Café” earning the winning vote. The move to this final corner was the third move for the Haglers who had first taken over Archie Geiser’s café in the building catty-corner from this site. After two years, they moved their café to the Finch Drug Store building, before finally building and settling on the third corner (present) at the same intersection. The construction was completed on their “Model Café”, opening its doors in January of 1966. Marge employed many people through those years in her café and many travelers came back through Arnold just for her ‘homemade’ meals. ~Fresh out of teacher’s college, I paid off some of my college loans while working at the Model Café in the mid 1970’s…Marge was an amazing lady! Many Arnold residents today can tell you about their fond memories of working for Marge Hagler. Patty Lamberty shared, “If you worked for her, your meals were free (even if you weren’t on shift at the time).” For years, Arnold Rotary had their weekly meetings in the large east room of the café. Many remember the article that was in the New York Times featuring Arnold’s Model Café!~ The stores east of the Model Café (presently Krista Eggleston’s “Kreative Edge”) were built in the 1930s by local carpenters. ~Carpenters still had jobs during the depression. Lon Smith built all three buildings.~ Haught Garage (H & O Motors, Forrester’s) was at the east end of the block while the Model Café was at the west end. Smith built a shop attached to the east side of Kreative Edge, that was a barber shop. ~Foran’s Barber shop was located where the vacant lot is now. Prior to that, it was owned by Andy and “Fussy” Comer” in their combined ‘barber and beauty’ shop. Their daughter Lucille worked with her mother and later, after she married Harry Peters, opened Lucille’s Beauty Shop in her home.~ The long loved Model Café was sold to Vic and Jeanie Allen who ran it from 1995-2000, before selling to Sid and Reta Siddal. The Siddals ran it a short time until it was purchased by John and Mary Beshaler around 2001. Other businesses that had passed through its doors were: John and Karla Rockwell’s “Country Corner Café” 2001- 2002. During the years 2003- 2006, the café was then rented to Mike (Kiwi) Forest and Tami Koubek, who named it “Kiwi’s Café”. Duane and Joyce Kautz had a Donut and Sub Sandwich place, Circa 2006 2007, and a feed store was in the back during that time. Around 2008, John Beshaler sold the building by auction.
Carmen Purcell purchased it and subsequently sold it to Krista and Tony Eggleston in December of 2011. Krista Eggleston opened the Salon in March of 2013. She remodeled the west café section and transformed the cafe into a ‘beautiful’ beauty salon with several styling stations, naming it “Kreative Edge”. Spracklin Chiropractic had his business in the building for a short time, in what is now the “pedi” room. Barb Gunther’s “Nails For Starz” is presently located in the west part of Eggleston’s building. The east side was remodeled in 2017. Tony Eggleston’s business, Agri Affiliates, occupies the east part of the old café. Cloud Fire also occupied part of the building, until moving a block south. The folks at Eggleston’s corner always welcome present and new patrons. (Some information for this marker was taken from the book, “One Hundred Years on the South Loup” by Norene Hall Mills.
Written and prepared by
Berni Crow 6/29/2020