History of Fisher Building Documented With Historical Marker

Fisher Building -1890

What had begun as a small office for Dr. Willis Anderson in the 1890s, eventually came to be known as the Fisher Building throughout several additions and remodels. Dr. Anderson’s stay in Arnold was short lived and following his departure, the Silas Allen family (Richard Eliada Allen’s parents) moved in and lived in it for several years. After moving off his homestead, Hiram Black purchased the building, added the second story and remodeled the original structure. The Fisher Building had a series of businesses located in different areas of the structure, often housing businesses simultaneously. It wasn’t unusual for the owners of those businesses to also reside in the section of the building that they worked in. In 1907, Postmaster Ernestine Black ran the Post Office in the same section of the building where she resided. Mrs. Black also operated Blacks Shoe Shop in the front of the Fisher Building from 1911-1917. In 1914, Dr. Dunn arrived in Arnold, taking up residence in the back room of the building, where he also had his office. Mr. & Mrs. Dale Shaw purchased the building from the Black’s in 1918, and proceeded to open Shaw’s Barbershop in a room unused by Dr. Dunn. The Shaws moved in to the doctor’s old quarters after Dunn moved across the street to the Worrell Building (Reed’s Food Center). Later on, Shaw sold the building to Charlie Fisher; perhaps that’s when it first began to be called the “Fisher Building”. Soon it was home and business to another family, the Comers when they came to town in 1926. Andrew (Andy) had first worked with Luther Ristine in the Northside Barber Shop, then in 1926 Comers bought Clarence Walker’s Model Barber Shop which was located in the former Mrs. Black’s Shoe Shop. The Fisher Building was north of the L.P. Rose/Spargo store, which had been built in 1916. The Comers had their living space on the 2nd floor of the Fisher Building and Clara (Fussy) Comer started her first beauty shop in Walker’s Model Barber Shop. ~ After the December fire of 1927, the Ernestine Black shoe store was the only frame building left on the east side of the street still occupied by Comers living quarters and Comers Barber and Beauty Shop. C.P. Empfield directed construction of several stores to fill the gap between the Fisher Building (Comers) and Economy Department Store (Custer). ~ Sinclair Lucas’ Drug store, W.R. Stewart’s Real Estate office, Dewey Dunaway’s Bakery, Clarence Marrs’ Barber Shop, Gertrude Chamber’s Rose Shop, and the Arnold Sentinel, were built under Empfield’s direction. ~ After October of 1938, Charlie Fisher sold his building to Henry Vieth who had it moved just north of where the Veterinary Clinic is now. A Callaway man, Joe Savidge did the moving and foundations were being poured for a new brick building (present structure) before the debris from the old building was even cleared. Since that time, several businesses have occupied this brick building, Darlene (Hagler) Rimpley shared memories of a Dime Store owned and managed by Hazel Holub called H. & H. Variety Store. Hazel ran her store for nine years until marrying John Priess in 1947. Darlene remembers buying her school pencils and paper at the H&H store. Holub sold to Robert Slattery who taught at Arnold School. Mrs. Virgie Slattery and the children Helen, Charles, and Kathleen kept the “ten-cent” store open until 1955 and then sold to Bob and Donna Staab, who kept it open for only two years (1955-‘57). The building was empty for a few years until Dee and Peggy Croghan opened their Sundry Shop running it for three years before selling to Pat (Hagler) Gale, circa 1973. Pat purchased Croghan’s sundry items and moved into her new store, the Main Street Shoppe. Pat had opened the store just before Mother’s day and discovered she had no greeting cards. Fortunately, the man who sold Hallmark Cards made a special trip to deliver cards to her and she sold every one of them. Pat also shared a funny anecdote. “A lady called me complaining that her hose broke and she wanted it replaced. Pat tried explaining to her that the ‘panty’ hose she sold wouldn’t break. It turns out that the lady had purchased ‘garden hose’ from the Western Auto store across the street. After running the store for 10 years, Pat was excited when Alice Halstead walked in one day and said, “I’d like to buy this store.” So, in 1982, Alice Halstead became the new owner. She stated that, “Pat called the store Main Street Shoppe, and I kept that name the ten years I owned it.” In June of 1992, Alice sold the store to Ronnie and Sharon Bean who renamed it Beans Boutique. Their Boutique was a variety store featuring glassware, cards, gifts, small appliances, and toys. They had only two helpers through all those years. After owning the store for fourteen years, they sold it in the summer of 2006, to Karin Moore. Karin and her husband Ed had come from Wyoming to join a relative Dan Miles, who already lived in Arnold. Karin owned it for about two years. She continued selling the same types of merchandise that the Bean’s had marketed, specializing in novelty gifts. Jody Bailey had worked for Karin, and stated that she really enjoyed working there, even though it was on a part time basis. Besides running the store, Jody stripped the floors for refinishing, and did a lot of cleaning and painting. Deb Croghan Pittman became the next owner of the building selling stock similar to the previous owners. During Deb’s ownership from 2007-2011, it was named Classic Coyote. From September 2011 to December 2014, Chelsea Hershey owned and ran DownHome Emporium. During Chelsea’s ownership, she sold flowers, a variety of gifts, and had a large toy section. The Emporium also consigned local and handmade items. Chelsea fondly recalled the barn wood wall that she had made with her father. To this day, it’s still a special attraction in the store. Having purchased it from the Croghans, Hershey later sold it to Tracy Peterson in the spring of 2015. Traci renamed the business Flower Girl. After a short stint in the business, Shavonne Schacher purchased the building from Traci and Shawn Peterson on December 27, 2016. Schacher already owned a floral shop selling fresh and artificial floral arrangements, children’s toys, apparel, gifts, and candy bouquets. Knowing that she really wanted to pursue a degree in education, Shavonne left the floral business so that she could go back to college. In October of 2018, she leased the store to Brandi Hild who ran it up to February of 2019 selling floral arrangements and gifts. From 2019-2020, Raberta (Bobbi) Starr leased the building selling primarily clothing and accessories. Having lived in and loving the Sandhills, Bobbi chose the name Sugar Sand Boutique that was perfectly suited for her store and homeland. She stated, “At times the sand near our home looks like sugar.” When the building became vacant in 2020, MaKenna Johnson and Tammy Weinman discussed the idea of renting the building or purchasing the building from Tammy’s daughter Shavonne Schacher. Tammy stated, “We decided to purchase the building and start a clothing boutique.” The purchase was made on December 1, 2020, and with remodeling completed, opening day was December 9, 2020. ~ Renovations included tearing out temporary walls, installing new flooring throughout, electrical wiring, and constructing a new bathroom. Then, the whole store got a fresh coat of paint. ~ The ladies decided to make part of the building into a salon so that MaKenna could offer full services in Arnold as a licensed cosmetologist. In addition to that, Barb Gunther contacted them about moving her “Nails For Starz” business into the new boutique. Barb’s move to the new building was made in January of 2021. It’s good to see the building occupied, with a new charming name Four County Boutique.

(Some information for this marker was taken from the book “One Hundred Years On the South Loup” written by Norene Hall Mills. Written and prepared by Berni Crow 5/25/2021)

Share this Story